|Industry||2016 Jobs||Current Earnings||2016 GRP|
|Biological – Pharmaceuticals||9,241||$186,344||$3,663,332,545|
- Novartis is one of the largest pharmaceutical companies by both market cap and sales. Novartis manufactures such drugs as clozapine (Clozaril), diclofenac (Voltaren), carbamazepine (Tegretol), valsartan (Diovan) and imatinib mesylate (Gleevec/Glivec). Additional agents include ciclosporin (Neoral/Sandimmun), letrozole (Femara), methylphenidate (Ritalin), terbinafine (Lamisil), and others.
- Bayer: Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At the same time, the Group aims to create value through innovation, growth and high earning power. Bayer operates its US headquarters out of Whippany NJ, with more than 2,500 employees on staff.
- Allergan: Allergan is focused on developing, manufacturing and commercializing branded pharmaceuticals, devices and biologic products for patients around the world. Allergan markets a portfolio of leading brands and best-in-class products for the central nervous system, eye care, medical aesthetics and dermatology, gastroenterology, women’s health, urology and anti-infective therapeutic categories.
- Ferring Pharmaceuticals: Ferring Pharmaceuticals is a research-driven, specialty biopharmaceutical group active in global markets. The company identifies, develops and markets innovative products in the areas of reproductive health, urology, gastroenterology, endocrinology and orthopaedics. Ferring has its own operating subsidiaries in nearly 60 countries and markets its products in 110 countries.
- Pfizer: Pfizer develops and produces medicines and vaccines for a wide range of medical disciplines, including immunology, oncology, cardiology, diabetology/endocrinology, and neurology. Its products include the blockbuster drug Lipitor (atorvastatin), used to lower LDL blood cholesterol; Lyrica (pregabalin) for neuropathic pain/fibromyalgia; Diflucan (fluconazole), an oral antifungal medication; Zithromax (azithromycin), an antibiotic; Viagra (sildenafil) for erectile dysfunction; and Celebrex/Celebra (celecoxib), an anti-inflammatory drug.
Facts and Figures
- The industries are projected to increase by 1,577 jobs (19.6%) from 2016-2021, outpacing the national growth rate of 6.0%
- Regional job concentration for the selected Industries is 3.64 times the national job concentration. In other words, there are 264% more jobs in this region than we would expect to find in the nation.
- The pharmaceutical preparation manufacturing industry sold $46,212,485 worth of product in 2016.
- For every job the Life Science industry in Morris County creates, another two jobs are created. (based on EMSI job multiplier)
- Cost for laboratory space is highly competitive.
- Nationally NJ’s Life Science Cluster has a solid position with a highly educated workforce.
What a Few Morris County Businesses Have to Say
“Our location in Morris County affords us all the advantages of being in the New York Tri-State area, including ready access to world-class companies and talent. With tranquil surroundings, benign commutes and a supportive work environment, we have much to be thankful for.”
“Morris County, home of Holland Manufacturing Company for nearly 60 years, is a great location with access to very competitive truck/freight rates. Morris County is close to ports for export shipments and it provides good rail service”
“As a core value for BASF, diversity is ingrained in our daily business objectives. Our Morris County location supports this focus with diversity of culture, environment, and access to a pipeline of talented individuals whose background and experiences contribute to our innovation.”
“Morris County is a great place to live and work. Being able to recruit from a large base of highly educated and hard-working people makes Morris county a natural for our company headquarters. Not to mention easy access to 3 major airports and Manhattan.”
“Morristown Medical Center, part of Atlantic Health System, is proud to celebrate 125 years in Morris County. Morristown Medical Center, located a short walk from Morristown’s famed downtown, has been recognized as one of the best hospitals in the nation, regionally recognized as one of the top hospitals in the New York Metro area, and is a destination for East Coast residents in search of exceptional medical care and clinical services. Physicians and staff who previously worked at larger, city institutions have relocated to Morris County for a better quality of life without sacrificing their ability to work in a nationally-ranked medical center. In addition, Atlantic Health System is the second-largest employer of Morris County residents. We live and work here, and are committed to improving lives and empowering our communities through health, hope, and healing.”